Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
The contents of this page have expired.
You may have arrived here from an outdated link.
UNIVERSITIES WITH COURSES IN Business and Management
UNIVERSITIES WITH COURSES IN Computer Science and IT
UNIVERSITIES WITH COURSES IN Engineering
UNIVERSITIES WITH COURSES IN Hotel Management and Hospitality
UNIVERSITIES WITH COURSES IN Mass Communication and Media
National Cheng Kung University
Tainan City, Taiwan (ROC)
|# 247||QS World University Rankings 2013|
|Campus setting||Contact the university / college|
|Student population||Contact the university / college|
|Nationalities||Contact the university / college|
About National Cheng Kung University
National Cheng Kung University (NCKU) is a research-led comprehensive university in Tainan City, Taiwan. It offers an open learning environment characterized by both classical Western as well as modern Eastern landscape. So far, NCKU has managed to attract thousands of students from all corners of the world for its rich and and welcoming campuses. In addition to two off-university campuses, An-Nan and Gueiren, the main campus of NCKU consists of 7 satellite campuses adjacent to one another. Each of the campuses is closely interlinked and tightly developed as a city within the university. Currently, NCKU covers a total of more than 180 hectares of land which makes it the biggest university in Taiwan.
With a high reputation in fields like science, medicine, engineering, management, design and planning, NCKU is known to be one of the most prestigious universities in Taiwan and was ranked by the Times Higher Education - QS World University Rankings and Performance Ranking of Scientific Papers for World Universities as second or third among all universities in Taiwan. NCKU was also chosen as one of the top two main schools for "promoting toptier universities" in 2005 and in 2011, the university was again recognized as one of the best universities in Taiwan. Outstanding faculty, abundant educational resource, and excellent research achievements are the foundation for NCKU to become a world-class university. Furthermore, NCKU students’ intellectual curiosity can be satisfied by the school’s diverse, dynamic, creative, and solid curricula.
NCKU has 9 colleges, 40 departments, 82 graduate institutes, and 54 research centers. NCKU also offers dozens of programs as minor specialties to provide various learning opportunities for interdisciplinary curricula. With a global vision, NCKU is developing diverse programs which are characterized by creativity, innovation and entrepreneurship, such as the “Thinkers Salon”, to foster students’ accomplishments in the humanities and to develop their spirit of caring for others around the world. In addition to the reputation of industry’s favorites, graduates from NCKU have also performed superiorly in academia. Many surveys throughout the years have shown that its students are most desired by Taiwanese companies. There are over 60 NCKU alumni who are currently incumbent or retired presidents of universities in Taiwan. NCKU, as such, seems to be a cradle for future university presidents.
|IELTS||Contact the university / college|
|TOEFL||Contact the university / college|
For admission requirements and intakes for each individual course/programme please refer to course details.
Courses available 10
Tuition and application fees
Contact the university / college
Estimated tuition fees as reported by the institution.
|Application fee (local students)||Contact the university / college|
|Application fee (international students)||Contact the university / college|
|Student visa fee (international students)||Contact the university / college|
Data not available per month
Average living cost in Taiwan (ROC)
The amount is indicated taking into account the average cost of food, accommodation, etc in Taiwan (ROC) for 2023
|Food||Data not available|
|Accommodation||Data not available|
|Others||Contact the university / college|
University Dorm for Graduates
- Male: NT$ 5800 - NT$ 7021 / per-semester
- Female: NT$ 7021 / per-semester
- Fees inclusive of NT$ 200 of internet fees
- Room can accommodate 3 people
University Dorm for Undergraduates
- Male: NT$ 5850 - NT$ 9446 / per-semester
- Female: NT$ 6000 / per-semester
- Fees inclusive of NT$ 200 of internet fees
International House-Prince Hall
- Single Room: NT$ 6500 per-month
- Double Room: NT$ 3900 per-month
- Rooms come with air-conditioning
- This campus provides all the basic necessities to accommodate the students comfortably. Currently, it has seven dormitories in which three are for the male students whereas four dormitories are for the female students. The Sheng-Li campus also comes with swimming pool for the students and a Zenda Suite, which is a hotel complex for the NCKU alumni under a BOT project.
- This campus is equipped with various sports facilities like field, student activity center, basketball courts, volleyball courts, tennis courts and gymnasium.
- This campus provides areas for dormitories and sports facilities for its students. In addition to all these, the campus also comes with apartment building meant for the doctors at the NCKU hospital, postgraduate students' dormitories, single faculty housing, and tennis courts.
- This campus is the oldest campus in the university and it houses the Departments of Engineering Science, Computer Science & Information Engineering, Mineral and Petroleum Engineering, Materials Engineering, Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Hydraulics & Ocean Engineering, Physics, Chemistry. Mathematics, Surveying Engineering, and Biology.
- This campus was originally named as Chien-Kuo, but was renamed to Cheng-Hsin in September 2009. At first, this campus was a training center for the country's army artillery units, which was purchased from the Ministry of National Defense in 1971. To date, it houses buildings for the Departments of Nursing, Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, Medical Technology, the Biomedical Engineering Institute, Medical College and the Taching Hospital.
- This campus was established in 1983 and it currently houses the Science-Technology Building as well as buildings for the Departments of Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, and Naval Architecture & Marine Engineering are all located on this campus. It also comes with various sports facilities such as fields for football, baseball, basketball, and volleyball.
- This campus comprises three land lots which was formerly occupied by the old Highway Motor Vehicle Office, Taiwan Automobile Company Maintenance Station and the 804 Army Hospital, which were acquired by the University in 1988, 1999 and 2002, respectively for campus development purposes. The campus is designated to provide buildings and facilities for medical and academic purposes. To date, there are three medical buildings, including a medical nursing building in the north, the second NCKU hospital outpatient building in the south, and a universal health building in the east. Specifically, the health building is used by the University to facilitate cooperative research with the National Health Research Institute. On the west side of this campus are academic buildings, including the building for the College of Social Sciences and the Y.S. Sun Green Building Research Center.
- This campus is distinguished from other ones as being part of a strong foundation for the development of national technology in Taiwan.
- This campus is designated primarily to provide buildings and facilities for industrial-educational cooperation and training programs. The buildings and facilities on this campus include the Hydraulic Model Experimental Field, the administrative building of NCKU Research and Services Headquarters (RSH), NCKU Environmental Resources Research Administration Center, a resource recycling plant, a fishery experimental laboratory and a hydraulic water quality laboratory. Notably, the hydraulic experimental field has the largest wave basin and wave flume in the world.
Driving Directions (from the North)
- Take National Freeway No.1 (Sun Yat-Sen Freeway) southbound.
- Get off at Exit 319 (Yongkang Interchange) and turn right to southbound Chungcheng N. Road.
- Travel down on Chungcheng N. Road and Chungcheng S. Road, and make a left turn at Chunghwa Road.
- Drive down Chunghwa Road and Chunghwa East Road.
- Turn right at Shiaodong Road and travel along it for a few blocks further, about 1.2 km, to reach NCKU.
(If you drive on National Freeway No.3 Southbound, at Exit 346 (Shinhua System), take National Freeway No.8 Westbound (Exit 6, Tainan System Interchange) to get on National Freeway No.1 Southbound to Exit 319)
Driving Directions (from the South)
- Take National Freeway No.1 (Sun Yat-Sen Freeway) northbound.
- Get off at Exit 327 (Tainan Interchange) and turn left to westbound Chungshang Road.
- Travel on Chungshang Road and continue on Dongmen Road.
- Make a right turn at either Chang Rung Road or Sheng-Li Road, and travel for about 1.1 km to NCKU.
(If you take National Freeway No.3 Northbound, at Exit 357 (Guanmiao Interchange), take No.86 Expressway westbound (Exit 8, Rende System Interchange) to get on National Freeway No.1 northbound to Exit 327)
- By Train - Take TRA Train to Tainan Station. NCKU is located on Ta-Shueh (University) Road about 100m from the rear entrance of Tainan Station.
- By THSR (Taiwan High Speed Rail) - Those who arrived at Tainan Station by Taiwan High Speed Rail can proceed to the interchange corridor on the 2nd floor of High Speed Rail Tainan Station or the No.1 exit on the 1st floor lobby to take the shuttle train at Sharon Station to Tainan Train Station. The shuttle train appears every 30 minutes and arrives at Tainan Train Station in about 20 minutes. You can walk from Tainan Train Station to National Cheng Kung University.
Contact the university / college
|Undergraduate students||Contact the university / college|
|Postgraduate students||Contact the university / college|
|International students||Contact the university / college|