- 98 THE World University Rankings 2014-2015
- 54 QS World University Rankings 2014
- 87 THE World University Rankings 2013-2014
- 53 QS World University Rankings 2013
- 60 QS World University Rankings 2015
|Campus setting||Information not available|
|Living cost||Information not available|
|Student population||Information not available|
|International students||Information not available|
|Institution type||Information not available|
About Technische Universität München
TUM’s academic faculties are divided amongst three campuses in the greater Munich area. The Main Campus in central Munich houses the faculties of Architecture, Medicine, Electrical Engineering and Information Technology, Civil Engineering, Surveying, Economics, Social and Sports Sciences. A second large campus is located in Garching, about 10 km north of Munich. Garching is home to the faculties of Physics, Chemistry, Informatics, Mathematics and Mechanical Engineering, as well as the Garching research reactor. Over the years, several research institutes, including the Max-Planck Society, the Bavarian Academy of Science and the Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität of Munich have joined TUM in Garching. The third TUM campus is located 35 km north of Munich in Weihenstephan near Freising, and is home to the faculties of Biology, Agricultural Science and Horticulture, Forestry and Resource Management, Brewing and Food Technology, Nutrition, and Landscape Planning and Landscape Architecture. There are also many institutions throughout Munich and the surrounding area that belong to TUM. These include the hospital “Rechts der Isar”, used for training medical students, and the Central University Athletic Complex.
The TUM, like many German universities, is a “non campus” university. However, with further expansion plans for the Garching site, more and more departments are to be placed into new buildings in Garching. The Garching campus, unlike the downtown area, is set up more like a traditional “quadrangle” style campus with a large grouping of buildings. At the moment, university buildings are spread over four main and several minor locations:
- Faculty of Architecture at the Technical University of Munich (Main Campus)
- Faculty of Civil Engineering and Surveying at the Technical University of Munich (Main Campus)
- Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Information Technology (Main Campus)
- Faculty of Economics at the Technical University of Munich (Main Campus)
- Faculty of Medicine at the Technical University of Munich (Klinikum rechts der Isar)
- School of Sport and Health Science at the Technical University of Munich, Olympic Park (Munich)
- TUM School of Education (since 1 October 2009, Munich)
- Department of Chemistry, Technical University of Munich
- Faculty of Computer Science of the Technical University of Munich
- Faculty of Mechanical Engineering at the Technical University of Munich
- Department of Mathematics at the Technical University of Munich
- Physics Department of the Technical University of Munich
- Weihenstephan Center of Food, Land Use and Environment at the Technical University of Munich
- Science Centre Straubing
- TUM operates a subsidiary in Singapore. In 2001, TUM founded the German Institute of Science and Technology (GIST) with its partner universities: the National University of Singapore and the Nanyang Technological University. Today, the GIST is recognized in Singapore as an independent Asia Pte. Ltd. of TUM. The Institute offers both master's programs and training for managers and undertakes research on a contract basis. The GIST acts as a contact for students and young professionals throughout Southeast Asia. This Asian subsidiary leads the major project Electro Mobility for Megacities (2010) at the CREATE Research Campus of the Singapore National Foundation.
It takes 25 min. by Underground from Marienplatz to the Garching campus (U6 to the terminal Garching-Forschungszentrum – research centre).
Coming from Munich Airport, take the S-Bahn (suburban railway) S8 as far as Ismaning, change to bus No. 230 or S1 to Neufahrn, then switch to the No. 690 bus.
Courses available 20
Be the first one!